Monday, March 16, 2009

Student Profile

Hi Everyone, below is my student profile/individual learning plan and goals. I have posted it so that you can get to know me prior to our trip abroad.

Cheers!

First I would like to begin with a few words about my background and myself. I graduated from McMaster University with an undergraduate degree in Developmental Psychology. I am currently completing my Master of Applied Disability Studies degree through Brock University with a specialization in Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA). I also work for an Acquired Brain Injury (ABI) rehabilitation program, where I implement and develop behaviour treatment plans for adults with an ABI and behaviour difficulties. The behaviour treatment plans are based on the principles of ABA.

            Through participation in this course I hope to further develop my critical thinking skills, increase my knowledge and gain skills in the area of advocacy, leadership, and inclusion. I hope that it will challenge my beliefs and current knowledge on preexisting cultural ideologies, and develop an awareness of the critical issues in the field of disability. This course will allow me to experience these issues from many perspectives and in a different culture. I plan to meet these goals in this course through a number of ways. First, familiarizing myself with literature regarding advocacy and inclusion. This will provide the basis of understanding the most pressing issues, while gaining perspective directly from authors in the disabilities field. Next, attending lectures, conferences, and seminars will allow a structured environment in which to learn and expand on literature and readings. It will also allow for interaction with peers, which will facilitate an overall learning environment where discussion can occur. Online forums will act as an extension of lectures and peer interaction. Additionally, formal and informal journaling will facilitate my goals through regular entries providing a forum to record thoughts, opinions, and observations.

            Furthermore, international participation in an ABA appropriate placement will allow me to gain hands on experience in the field of disability studies abroad. Specific goals for the international experience are to develop an understanding of practices within a different culture. Also, I am excited at the possibility to network with and learn from some of the most forward thinking leaders in this area, and I hope to be able to build a relationship that will allow me to grow personally and professionally in the area of disability studies.

1 comment:

  1. Hello everyone!!

    It looks like I have logged on diferently, but it works! I am a second year student in Human Services at the Nova Scotia Community College, Waterfront Campus, in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. I am soooooooo excited to be taking part in this wonderful opportunity and looking forward to meeting all of you!

    Jewel

    ReplyDelete